Barnleigh Housing Association Ltd
History of the Association
Barnleigh Housing Association originated as a Public Utility Society set up to provide small affordable homes with reasonable comfort for single working women. Catherine Severn Burrow was principally responsible for both the concept and launching this project, where women took full responsibility for providing housing for working women.
The Society was the first of its kind in the UK and was copied elsewhere. The Society
was supported by the National Council of Women(NCW) and was registered in 1920 under
the Industrial & Provident Societies Act with the name Workers Ltd. The property
portfolio was funded by a combination of Government Grant, privately raised loans
and shares issued locally. The society’s first housing estate at Pickersleigh Close,
providing 18 flats, was completed in 1923. A further estate of 24 bungalow flats
was built at Barnards Close between 1925 and 1927. The bungalows were built to provide
3 sizes of self-
Where many Public Utility housing societies got into financial difficulties and failed,
this one survived -
Planned expansion of the property portfolio was prevented by the economic depression of the 1930s and the loss of land at Barnards Close, to the War Effort, that was never recovered. In 1951 two bungalows, offering 4 flats, were added at Pickersleigh Close but, that was all between 1927 and 2003. In 2003 a house adjacent to Pickersleigh Close was purchased and converted into two Flats.
High levels of monetary inflation in the 1970s escalated maintenance costs while the rental income was subject to constraints that brought the organisation near to a crisis point. The name Workers Ltd was no longer meaningful so the name was changed to Barnleigh Housing Association Ltd in 1977. Measures were then taken to begin the overhaul of the Association’s finances and upgrade properties. The original ethos was modified to reflect a more commercial stance. For the first time men were permitted to join the management committee. Three retired men with architectural, business and financial expertise helped set the organisation on a path to financial security and property modernisation.
Since the 1980s a programme of work has progressively modernised, refurbished and extended the properties to more fully meet modern expectations for space and facilities.